Thursday 30 May 2013

Play along

Life and its games. Hide and seek. High jumps. We’ve just got to play along. Lost or found, win or lose, we’ve just got to play along. A lot of times in life, it happens that we lose something so dear to us. Something that we keep wrapped in the most beautiful feeling, safe in our hearts. But before we realise, the bird has taken flight, and there is nothing we can do about it. Blame the nature for not gifting us with wings. After much weeping and gnashing of teeth, we give up the state of denial and accept defeat. And we move on. No, it’s not a choice, time moves at its pace. And we move along. But some day, suppose you find that same bird, perched on your wall, would you still want it? I’m not sure. I feel undecided. Not after all the tears I poured out after its happy bon voyage. It chose to fly. And stopping it was not in my power. I don’t want it anymore. Even the sight of it makes me cringe. It was not the prettiest. But it was mine. And as my love for it faded, I began to notice its ugliness. I wonder what’s so gravitational about that thing which is so repulsive. I can’t stop gazing at it, and I stop worrying about the cringing. The bird and I and our past are attached with strings. Strings that I desperately want to untangle me off. But the strings are strong. And I invested a lot of my strength tightening them in the past. I jumped as high as I could to hold my beloved back. But I couldn’t reach the height of its flight. I gave up. I lost the high jump tournament. But better late than never, I won the hide and seek. But the variations here are that the game went on for months, and the concealed came out of hiding to the den. Maybe the concealed has a continuation game in mind. Maybe he plans a race this time. But I can play better. Much better. I know how to play games within games. This time, I will lead and he will chase. And I’ll watch him floored by my prowess.

No comments:

Post a Comment