Monday 13 May 2013

Objectification of beauty

Hey gorgeous! I know the world is gaping at you open mouthed. And you’re enjoying the spotlight. I also happen to know you make attempts to catch eyes. I see the pride in your eyes. Your seeds bear fruits. Your charm compels. Your hair falls perfectly without your trying. Your skin radiates with colour. And your dimples bring smiles. Whatever you do, makes the world explode with a honey dipped, sugar coated awwwwww. But if I do the same, the world shakes its head. Your daintiness makes you more womanly than I am. The world has forgotten about what makes a woman or a man. I know everyone is not a doctor, but how can gender be quantitative? If the world likes you more for that prettier face and more interesting body, then, really, the spotlight will last over you for maybe a decade and a half longer. Till your hair greys. I have a few admirers. My family and my real friends. They love me today, and will forever and a day. And they not only see my eyes, they watch my emotions through them. They don’t notice my teeth or my lips while I smile; they watch it reach my eyes. They may not tell me how pretty I look, but they surely tell me I look smart. They may not find me hot, but I know they think I’m beautiful for the person I am. But the world is blinded by the beauty of the face, not the heart. My world is just the opposite. Rewind... Replay. Years ago, my granddad and I. Me – “Thatha (granddad in Telugu) am I pretty?” Thatha – “My granddaughter is beautiful. Did someone say you are not?” Me – “My features are blunt.” Thatha – “So you like sharp features.” Me – “Do I have at least one sharp feature?” Thatha – “All of them are.” Me – (sulking) “You are lying!” Thatha – “To me you are beautiful. Even the crow adores its chick. And you are beautiful.” Forward a few years... And play. Mum and I. me, all decked up. Pink shirt, pretty bracelets and stunning goggles. Mum – “wow! You are a true beauty.” Me – “Awwwww. Ha-ha.” *blushing* Forward a few more years, to a few months back from today. Play. It was never meant to be forever. But it happened. And it was one of the best things. Over the phone to him. Me – “we are not all that tall. And I like wearing heels. Will you mind if I rise to your height or more in heels?” He – “even if you are 6 feet tall, I won’t mind.” Me – “I’m so fat.” He – “fat is better than malnourished.” Me – “let me know before you come. I’m so ugly.” He – “I know what you mean. So much of pain and money wastage at the parlour just to see me? Just wear decent clothes.” Forward to one hour ago. Play. Moody times. Facebook chat. My bff on the other side. Me – “we all have mood swings. I know I’m stupid at times. And this time it got out of control.” She – “Why don’t you get it? You’re perfect the way you are. I’m just very disappointed in you. I mean you have a blog. A job. And what not. It’s really sad to see someone who is so talented and so stunning and the most amazing person by heart doing such stuff due to insecurities.” I’m the most beautiful person alive. And my beauty isn’t visible to the random passerby.

No comments:

Post a Comment